Alliance for Community Media – Northeast Region
In order for democracy to flourish, people must be active participants in their government, educated to think critically and free to express themselves.
The mission of the Alliance for Community Media is to advance democratic ideals by ensuring that people have access to electronic media and by promoting effective communication through community uses of media.
The Northeast Region encompasses Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont. Our goal is to further Alliance for Community Media priorities at the regional level.
These priorities are:
- Advocacy for the protection of Public, Educational and Government Access for all communities in our region and our nation
- Lobbying legislative bodies and commissions to allow PEG channels to continue to exist and thrive under local/state authority
- Partnering with other organizations concerned with media issues to increase our visibility and awareness
- Education for the leaders of access organizations on managing and leveraging access resources for the benefit of their communities
- Education of the public regarding their rights to access television and its use Since 1976, the Alliance represents over 1,000 Public, Educational and Governmental (PEG) access organizations and community media centers throughout the country. It also represents the interests of millions of people who, through their local religious organizations, community groups, schools and charitable work, use PEG access to communicate with their memberships and the community as a whole. The Alliance for Community Media provides critical support services for these community media centers, their staffs and volunteers.
The Alliance’s activities include:
- Providing technical assistance through publications, web resources, and other materials
- Providing opportunities to attend workshops and conferences to broaden knowledge and professional networking
- Promoting legislation and regulation which supports PEG access. To achieve this, the Alliance works with Congress, state legislatures, the Federal Communications Commission, state public utilities commissions, and coalition partners. The Alliance has brought suits when necessary in courts around the country.
The Alliance for Community Media advocates for community media and provides resources to community media centers though out the country and the world. Important work that needs to be supported.